Vol 3, Issue 59 (Language, Daniel's Quiz, Moahmed)

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 19:18:45 CEST 2003

Hi Everyone,

On the English language:

I've stayed out of any recent unpleasantness up until
now.  But the exchange between Rodney and Sigvald did
bring up an interesting point regarding the influence
of pop culture on how the English language (American,
British, Australian, etc. versions) is viewed *and*
learned abroad.  While I do believe that context can
definitely be a major indicator of what is and is not
acceptable, what is acceptable has been on an
incredibly fluid sliding scale, especially where
movies and tv are concerned.  It may be less so where
the general public is concerned.  The point is, that
without some guidance, it could be very easy for
someone learning the language to accept some of what
can be called here in the US "potty-mouth" without the
knowledge that not only is it slang, but it is also
considered terms and phrases not proper for polite and
learned conversation and discourse.  Personally, I
know there have been certain messages on the DCML I
would judiciously censor for my daughter once she
learns how to read (and love Disney comics, of
course!).  I'm sure that those of us who are native
English speakers could provide some guidance on this
matter.  Thus ends the OT portion of this posting.

Daniel's Barks Quiz:

Isn't "Nik! Nik! Nik!" the sole verbiage of the
natives of the barren, rocky planet that Scrooge and
the boys land on in "Island in the Sky"?

Moahmed in Egypt:

Welcome! To my knowledge, we have precious few
participating members from outside the "major" Disney
comics countries.  So any addition to the folks like
Arie in Indonesia, Mateusz and Maciek in Poland, etc.
is and should be highly valued.  Any contributions to
the current (or past) situation of Disney comics in
Egypt would be most welcome.

Greetings to all as I go back to lurker mode,
Chuck Munson
Oak Hill, Virginia  USA