DCML and proper language

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Sat May 31 14:47:04 CEST 2003

SIGVALD WROTE:

> This Rodney guy who addressed me in a IMO rather unpleasant posting wrote:
> >> I know I speak for others here when I ask
> >> that you refrain from the use of vulgar/curse/
> >> slang-words.
>
> Yes - he did write "I know I speak for others" - and thus did the
> same thing
> that you now blame me for doing, even though someone just a few
> days before
> came with a very clear statement "speak *only* for yourself". To show this
> Rodney guy how unserious his offensive posting IMO thus looked I answered
> him by using his own logic. Obviously you didn't get that point!

AND I RELUCTANTLY RESPOND:

I'm breaking my self-imposed rule against replying to any thread begun by
Sigvald because I cannot let this claim go undefended.

Rodney did say "I know I speak for others", and in doing so he was correct.
He did not say "I know I speak for Americans" or "I know I speak for comic
fans".  He simply happens to know people personally who are DCML members who
do not care for tasteless slang, and who have not lowered their principles
just because Hollywood says we should.  Maybe that's why he chooses to read
Disney comics, one of the last bastions of tasteful entertainment on the
comic stands.  I know I quit purchasing many other titles long ago for that
reason.

Rodney at least speaks for me, and apparently others have already spoken up
who agree with him.  He has not disagreed with anyone's opinions on politics
or publishing practices, though he certainly may have private feelings about
those issues.  He has simply stated that any points made here can be done
without resorting to "third grade vocabulary" (my term), and some of us
happen to feel the same way.

I know for a fact that some of us have refused to post at all for weeks (as
has been pointed out recently) because we don't like the direction DCML has
taken lately.  Please don't give us more reason to remain silent.

Dan