Looooooo......ooooonnnnggg letter.

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Sat May 31 21:32:33 CEST 2003

Hi,
This is a very long one. so feel free to skip it. i wasnt able to reply one
by one and only have this time to reply "all at once" ... at the cost of
readers' inconvenience :-)
Sorry for the long email.

Sander:
"I've seen two in D95139 ("The Exotic Prize"): The one you wrote about
("NIMARCORAI AIROTAMOR") and the name of the newspaper Donald holds on the
same first page is "Roocramta" (upside down)."

u're right. i never noticed it before. i thought of it as untranslated
language. It's very smart way to put it as anagram. thanks for pointing that
out.

Harry:
I can see why some of the characters were "unused" now. Are some of the
Ducktales characters put in the "unused characters list" also? I never
really liked the ducktale comic stories but i remembered reading some of em
when i was a kid and barely reading any now except for occasional 1-2 comic
pages featuring Launchpad McQuack, drawn by VanHorn.

Kristian Pederson:
I myself have been fascinated by Barks' depictions of Gladstone's luck. And
the torn pages event in Hondorica story is quite nigh-impossible.
Other Gladstone nigh-impossible luck would hafta be in a ten-pager story
(cant remember title and code cause i aint got it with me right now) where
Gladstone and Donald are each given a job/business to develop/take care of.
Gladstone got the job wheer he must move an old lady's house from a top of
hill to another. To move a house with the old lady still in it, and no
mentioning that the items in the house are broken/messed up clearly shows
another nigh-impossible luck of Gladstone ;-)

On the language issue:
Well, i certainly would like to see less "vulgar" words. There have been
enough negative aura here in DCML without the needs to add it with
inappropriate vocabularies. So the best we can do is to cut some negative
attitude ourselves and add some positivity to this list.

DCML a mess(?)
Things arent looking good now, but be patient, im sure when the new
publications of Gemstone hits the market and reach the hands of the eager
Disney comics fans who've waited long enough to read Dons stories in English
and other stories from European comic artists, new topics wil start to rise
faster and in a whole lot more quantity than we can address one at a time.
:-)
Speaking of which, just got my own copies of the FCBD DDA. It's superb.
Though the inside pages looked a bit "blurry" but they're enjoyable. And the
flip cover design is great too. Kudos to Gemstone for a very attractive FCBD
edition. I didnt even bother to get other FCBD comics.

3 comics one wouldnt sell for anything:
It's hard though. why 3? I want to keep all my comics :-)
Well, if a choice must be made, certainly an Uncle Scrooge issue with the
Back To Klondike story. Uncle Scrooge issue with the King of The Klondike
story. And lastly the Donald Duck issue with the Christmas for Shacktown
story. I'm referring to the Gladstone comic issues, not the album formats.
Reasons:
Back To Klondike gadstone issue features the Barks painting as the cover.
And i really like the story very very much. The way Donald is drawn as
backgrounds in many panels showing interest/smiling seeing Uncle Scrooge. To
me, it showed that Donald may have understand the softer side of Scrooge
more than anybody else (HDL). Some obvious panels:
- DD smiled when he saw scrooge sighing "goldie, after all these years", the
panel where scrooge just heard from hdl that the lady is goldie.
- DD smiled when he saw Scrooge combing himself to meet Goldie to "collect
IOU" (scrooge's excuse but obviously DD knows better why US combing himself)
- Again DD smiled when he sees US blushed in front of Goldie.
DD's smiles in all those panels arent usual smiles. It's like showing he's
smiling that he was able to see the softer side of his "materialistic"
uncle.
*** Bottomline: One of the best Scrooge story
King of the Klondike: features some references from the Back to Klondike.
Very nice last-page panels. And imho the best chapter in the whole Lo$
series.
Christmas for Shacktown: again, a very nice morale story without too much
preaching easily found in normal stories for children. Feature impostor
Uncle Jake (DD) which suggesting that Scrooge may have a very close
childhood relationship with him.

DCML-Talk:
It's great for us fellow duck fans/donaldists to talk about non-Disney
stuffs. yes, we can find elsewhere to chat about non-Disney stuffs. But i
find it interesting to talk non-Disney stuffs with fellow Disney comics
fans/Donaldists.

Keep On Quacking,
Arie Fachrisal who took half an hour to write and edit this message :-)