DCML and spam

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 2 11:03:21 CET 2003

Hi everyone!

Sigvald:

>>> Lately, an increasing amount of spam has reached my duckburg.dk mailbox.
>>> think this is because I use this mail-account when addressing DCML and
then
>>> those mails are made available on-line

Or they simply lift if of  your own web page.

>>>The idea is that the following prefix: "dcml: " should be automatically
added in front of the
>>> title of all DCML-mails before they reach our mailboxes.

I don't know about Netscape & other e-mail softwares (though I assume
Netscape's has a similar feature), but you can configure Outlook Express to
sort your mail, without having to add such a prefix.

All DCML messages are forewarded through dcml at stp.ling.uu.se ; copy this
address.
Create a mailbox directory called DCML (for instance) (right-click on the
root InBox and Create New Folder).
In Outlook Express' menu, choose Tools / Message Rules / Mail, then in the
box, click on Create a New Rule; the rules are very easy to define.
Check the "When the line To" & "When the line CC" boxes, click on them in
the bottom box, paste the DCML address ( dcml at stp.ling.uu.se ), don't forget
to OK it, and switch the command to "OR" (so that it reads "When the line
... or When the line ...").
In the second box, check the "Move to folder..." box, then at the bottom,
click on it to select the DCMl folder.

Now, all the DCML mail will automatically moved in the appropriate folder!
:)
The remaining mail will be either from individual DCML members writing to
you directly (create a new "DCML members" Folder & Rule, using the
"Contains" option with the e-mail address), or spam.

I have "DCML" & "Disney Friends" rules, plus several others, which all work
fine, so that all the mail is sorted, I immediately see what "kind" of  mail
I have, and the e-mails that remain unsorted in the root InBox are so few
that the spam-deleting (rather, "blocking") is very easy.

An on-topic story:
WDC&S 83 (Aug '47), CBLoWCD&SiC Album 11-- Donald invents an anti-salesmen
system.

Have a nice week!

Olivier