DCML Digest Issue 4

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Nov 3 15:11:54 CET 2003

> From: "deanmary" <deanmary at worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: Scrooge waterglobe
> The following link connects you to a new Scrooge snowglobe Disney
> is selling:
> http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Sec

Thanks! And it's a Barks-style $crooge, not a "Mickey's Christmas Carol"
counterfeit Scrooge like I expected. I ordered one 2 minutes after I read
your message. It wasn't in their stupid monthly catalogue of Winnie the Pooh
pajamas and Disney Princess playsets.

> From: Larry Giver <lgiver at pacbell.net>
> Subject: "Stolen Time"  on the Simpsons
> I just watched the latest(?) Simpsons episode, in which
> Bart had a stop-watch just like the one the Beagle Boys
> had in Rosa's "On Stolen Time".  He and Milhous could
> click the stopwatch once to stop time for everyone
> except themselves, then click it again to resume real
> time for all.   Did the Simpson creators steal this idea
> from Don's story?

No, we both, as well as the producers of that kidvid "Clockstoppers", stole
the idea from John D. MacDonald's 1962 novelette "The Girl, the Gold Watch
and Everything".

> From: "mateusz lis" <lis- at wp.pl>
> Subject: Re: "Stolen Time" on the Simpsons
> In DuckTales' episode "Time Teasers" from 1988 (written by Anthony Adams)
> Beagle Boys also used a stop-watch to steal $crooge's cash. They
> had stolen
> the stop-watch from Gyro, like in Don's story.

!!! There *was* such an episode?!?! I never watched that show! But that
episode would predate my story! That sure looks suspicious, eh? But we all
stole the idea from that 1962 MacDonald story.