Silly story idea

Kristian Pedersen ktpedersen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 18:28:42 CET 2003

I've often thought that a fun subject for a story
could be the ducks trying to figure out their origin.
Maybe the prevalent notion in Duckburg is a
darwinistic one - simply everybody believes that the
ducks developed from the pterodactyls (I actually once
saw a daily strip in which Donald told the nephews
just that - a Taliaferro strip, perhaps?). That would
perhaps also explain why we never hear of temples of
worship in Duckburg: the inhabitants are simply not
religious.

But then some sort of Anti-Darwin could put forth the
revolutionary idea that the ducks were actually
created by gods, and everybody would start looking for
clues. For instance, why would the ducks use the base
10 number system when they have only eight fingers?
Isn't that some kind of clue that they have not been
shaped by evolution?

(After formulating this thought, it struck me: but
what if they ARE using the base eight system? Could I
actually remember ever having seen the digit s "8" or
"9" in a Barks story for instance? Not off the top of
my head, but I soon found some in "The Pixilated
Parrot". A shame - it would have been a very neat
inside joke if those two digits never appeared. (And
Scrooge would have been much less rich!))

I recall a Marco Rota story in which Barks' likeness
can be seen on a totem pole, so obviously _someone_
inside the duck universe already hit upon the right
idea :)

Kristian