About King George III

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Wed Nov 12 14:19:27 CET 2003

Myklebust,Are <are.myklebust at f1101.aetat.no> wrote:

>> I am *not* a physician nor a mathematician,
>> but an historian who in his studies focused
>> on the 1700th century.

Oh, sorry, I meant the 17th century (=the 1600s) and my focus during my
final studies was on *Norwegian* history.

> You are?
> Then you are in the position the answer the
> following question:
>
> In Walt Disney's "The Scarecrow" comic books
> stories (Gold Key) from the 1960's, the action
> is taking place in England in the late 1700's.
>
> In the story "The Scarecrow meets King George"
> (story code: W SCA 3-02, published in the
> Norwegian "Walt Disney's Månedshefte" 9/ 1968)
> we meet King George III (the British Monarch
> 1760 - 1820).
>
> Is the portrait given of King George in this
> comic book story accurate?

I am sorry that, as I am not familiar with the Scarecrow-series that you are
mentioning here and I don't have the Norwegian magazine you are referring to
either, I can't be very helpful here.

Actually the only Disney-reference to King George III that I can remember
having seen before is the one in Don Rosa's "His Majesty McDuck", page 6,
panels 5 and 6.

King George III is one of the longest ruling monarchs in British history as
he ruled for 60 years (1760-1820). During his long reign UK conquered the
French colonies in North-America, they lost their colonies in New England
(=USA) and finally helped defeating Napoleon. George III himself became
blind and temporarily insane in his old days, and was replaced by his son
George IV in 1820. George III died in 1829. I have briefly mentioned King
George III in part 2 of "Andebys Historie" that I have written for the
Danish Donaldist Society.

Sigvald