Dates on Scrooge's trophies?

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 14 07:48:03 CET 2003

On Nov. 12, in issue 24, Michiel Prior wrote:
	[One weak spot in this reasoning is that I
           deliberately choose to ignore the dates of the  trophies in
           Scrooge's trophy room in "Xanadu" en "Crusaders".]
Xanadu is my favorite Rosa sequel (haven't seen Crusaders yet, of course)
and I didn't recall seeing any dates on trophies on display at the
beginning of the story.  So I reviewed my copy in US 261.  I found one date
in the first panel, lower right next to Donald's tail feathers: 1916!  It's
good
Michiel Prior ignored this date, since it has nothing to do with the time the
story featuring that trophy occured.  That story was "Atlantis", when Scrooge
decided to make one 1916 quarter rare and valuable by dumping all other
1916 quarters into the Atlantic ocean.  But that quarter was flattened by a
steamroller.   The 1916 quarter shown on the trophy shelf in Xanadu is the
only quarter retrieved from sunken Atlantis; at the end of the story Scrooge
tried to sell it to a coin dealer, but found only Scrooge himself was rich
enough to afford it, so he still has it.  As I recall, Rosa also showed the
flattened 1916 quarter in Scrooge's store room in another story.