Italian or not?

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 20:07:20 CET 2003

I always assumed that Magica was Italian.  I've never read
anything that leads me to believe otherwise--her "Boris and
Natasha" accent on DuckTales notwithstanding.  If Barks had
intended her to be any other nationality I imagine he would have
said so.  The ducks refer to her as "that Italian witch," and
she uses Italian phrases occasionally ("Buon giorno," etc.)  She
also has dark hair, which, granted, isn't always a perfect
indicator in real life, but in cartoons Italian characters
pretty much always have black hair.

In my head I don't really imagine her with much of an accent,
just because I still identify with the voice of my dad reading
the comics to me as a small child.  ;)

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/