Donald's first appearance

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Nov 26 15:27:37 CET 2003

TIMO RONKAINEN to ..., 25-11-2003:

> Mickey Mouse Annual doesn't have the very same Donald Duck as we
> know him. English 1932 appearance is more of like coincidence:
> a duck-character just having the same name. I think this was
> discussed here some time ago.

"Little Wise Hen" doesn't contain the very same Donald Duck as we know
him, either.

Instead of coincidence, I'm thinking of character development. And in
Donald's case, his name apparently came first, while his appearance was
still a rough sketch. It's a duck. A large duck? A small duck? With or
without clothes? And what kind of clothes? That was decided later, but
it started with a duck named Donald Duck.

(Or, was it the other way around? People designing a human-like duck in
a sailor suit, and *then* being reminded of a good sounding name they've
used a few years before, in 1932?)

Just some thoughts. I know little about those early years.

--- Daniël