Questions for Beagle afficianados

Rich Bellacera xephyr at cwnet.com
Wed Oct 1 22:38:02 CEST 2003

I recently read a short Beagle story (WDCD 18 - AMJ: "The Super
Baby-Sitters")

In this story Daisy's nieces are called upon by the Beagle Boys to watch
their nephew, the youngest Beagle, named Junior-176 1/4 while they rob a
warehouse.  The girls fail miserably as the baby Beagle seems to have
all the criminal traits of his uncles, even carrying a crowbar disguised
as a babyrattle.  They end up chasing after Junior who gets in the path
of the Beagles' car and foils their robbery.  Then Granny Beagle appears
and takes custody of Junior, but the girls are rewarded by the
warehouse's owner, who gives the girls many dolls to play with.

Anyhow, now for my questions:

1)  The address of the Beagle hideout is quoted by the girls as "176
Hoosegow Street."  Is this the first time the Beagles' address is
listed, or does it perhaps appear on a mailbox or other place in other
stories, or is ita contradiction to another listed address?

2)  Is this the first time the Baby Beagle (Junior-176 1/4) appears and
does he appear again?

3)  I may be mis-remembering Granny Beagle, but I seem to recall that
she was just as much involved in the criminal activities, or at least
endorsing of them, as the rest of the Beagle family.  However, when she
appears at the end of the story here, she takes custody of the baby and
says, "And I won't make the same mistakes raising you that I did with
your spoiled rotten uncles!"  The implication is that she is
disapproving of the criminal activities of the Beagle Boys?  Is this her
nature in most stories?  Is she sort of like Grandmaw Wolf who
disapproves of Zeke's bad nature?

Thanks,

Rich Bellacera
xephyr at cwnet.com