DCML Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1 (Sons of the Moon)

kimba1962@comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 01:35:51 CEST 2003

DAVID GERSTEIN responded to my description of Kerhonen's "Sons of the Moon" in the most recent WDC&S:

> You suggest, Chris, that singling out just one nephew for special
> treatment is a DuckTales-originated trend. You even imply that the mere act
> of using HDL as solo stars could also be interpreted as some kind of
> DuckTales homage.
>     In truth, DuckTales was not the first forum to single out one nephew for
> special treatment in a story. An early Barks ten-pager showed just one
> nephew creating a gold-finding machine; and there are many Taliaferro
> strips, most of them reprinted in Korhonen's native Finland, where one
> nephew is singled out and individualized.

I was thinking specifically of ADVENTURE STORIES in this case.  In the gold-finding machine story and the Taliaferro strips, one Nephew is allowed to stand out "in relief" from the others for the purposes of a quick gag... not surprising given the potential for humorous disagreements, etc.  In "Sons of the Moon," Louie got to experience an adventure ON HIS OWN.  In "Duck in the Iron Mask" --also an adventure tale -- the Nephews ended up working together, but the theme underlying the story was Dewey's alienation from his brothers.  I have no way of knowing whether Korhonen was truly inspired by "DT," but I'll tell you something... reading that story caused me to flash on "Iron Mask" (and "Widow's Gap") BIG TIME.

I'll concede the point regarding the JUNIOR WOODCHUCKS tale -- and even there, the Nephews had to share the stage with the REST of their Woodchuck brethren and leaders -- but I can't think of any other pre-"DT" ADVENTURE wherein one Nephew gets such a prominent "solo" role.

Chris Barat