DCML Digest Issue 5

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Oct 3 14:52:25 CEST 2003

> From: "Matthew Williams" <kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net>
> Incidentally, while searching the web recently, I came across a
> Rosa drawing
> (dated 1991) that I had never seen before that had much older versions of
> Donald, Daisy, and the nephews standing around Scrooge's grave.

Yeah, and that bugs me a bit! None of the websites that are showing that
drawing ever asked permission to do so from me or the German fanzine that I
drew it for. But worse, they never explain the purpose of the drawing! It
was only ONE of many submissions to a fanzine article where various artists
were asked to submit a drawing based on the line "Hey, Daisy! Whatever
happened to Scrooge?" Other artists did all sorts of wacky interpretations,
but I treated the question as asking what happened to Scrooge in the
*permanent* sense. However, my drawing being placed out-of-context onto
websites and in magazines all over the world leads people to think I drew
the thing for no reason other than to mean-spiritedly announce to the world
that $crooge was dead. And while I do feel he would *naturally and
unavoidably* be dead by 2003, I am not trying to start trouble by needlessly
creating such cruel cartoons.
Anyway... I wonder what I was thinking when I dressed the Nephews
differently. Tell me which website I can see the drawing on and maybe I'll
recall. I knew one had to be dressed in "business attire" since it was in a
Barks story where $crooge named the Nephews as his sole heirs, so at least
one of them would now be managing the "$crooge McDuck Memorial Charity
Foundation".

> From: mas <mas at nic.nu>
> Subject: Don Rosa's brilliant covers
> What about the pictures in your calendar?  Were those originally
> covers?  If not, could Gemstone use them as such?

The illustrations used in those calendars were lifted from PICSOU magazine
where I had done them as "pin-ups". I recently learned that the French
PICSOU editor did not even know that this had been done! But yes, Gemstone
can also use those pin-ups (with the lovely French coloring) at cost of
copies from France.