Fortuna Favet Fortibus and associated drawing, plus Scrooge's residence

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 23:06:52 CEST 2003

Don Rosa wrote:
> The illustrations used in those calendars were lifted from
> PICSOU magazine
> where I had done them as "pin-ups". I recently learned that
> the French
> PICSOU editor did not even know that this had been done! But
> yes, Gemstone
> can also use those pin-ups (with the lovely French coloring)
> at cost of
> copies from France.

Are we talking about the Christmas calendar images I've seen
scanned online?  Where a different character is featured on each
day, including somewhat more obscure ones like Jose Carioca and
yes, my favorite, Goldie?  I'd love to have that published in
America!

> Don Rosa wrote:
> > Yeah, and that bugs me a bit! None of the websites that are
> > showing that drawing ever asked permission to do so from me
> or the German
> > fanzine that I drew it for. But worse, they never explain
> the purpose of the
> > drawing! It was only ONE of many submissions to a fanzine
> article where
> > various artists were asked to submit a drawing based on the
> line "Hey, Daisy!
> > Whatever happened to Scrooge?" Other artists did all sorts
> of wacky
> > interpretations, but I treated the question as asking what
> happened to Scrooge in the
> > *permanent* sense.

Fascinating!  I never knew what the context was for that
drawing, but it's always been very moving to me.  I can honestly
get misty-eyed if I look at it too long.  I love the grown-up
versions of the three nephews, though.  I hadn't noticed D&D's
wedding rings until just now.  Cool!  Although I still want to
rip that ridiculous bow off her head and stomp up and down on
it.  ;)

> I am not trying to start
> trouble by needlessly
> > creating such cruel cartoons.

*I* certainly never interpreted it that way.

Oh, and no whomever asked (don't remember now) "Fortuna favet
fortibus" is Latin for "Fortune favors the strong."  ("Fortune"
in this sense, being like "Lady Luck" or the goddess Fortune.)

> From: "Sigvald_Grøsfjeld_jr." <sigvald at duckburg.dk>
>
> > - Scrooge lies in a simple grave under grass...
>
> You are right that the grave is not a complex one, but it's
> definately *not*
> simple in the way that word is used in Norwegian. Graves like
> that are 100%
> normal so there are no reason what so ever to read any kind of
> disrespect
> for the memory of $crooge from his heirs, out of this grave.

I don't know what connotation the word "simple" has in
Norwegian, but it English it's generally understood to me
something like "not fancy" or "without a bunch of decorations
and complicated stuff added on."  It doesn't carry any sort of
mean or negative meaning at all.

> And thinking about this analysis of that picture leads me to a
> new question:
> Is this grave located somewhere in or nearby Duckburg, or is
> it located in
> or nearby the McDuck grave yard at Dismal Downs?

I would vote for Duckburg.  Speaking from within the Rosa
universe, we've seen in "His Majesty McDuck" and "A Little
Something Special" that the city means a lot to him, and vice
versa, even if no one would admit it out loud.  ;)

> > Grandma, of course, has her farm, but where
> > does Scrooge live? DUCKTALES gave him a
> > mansion, as did CHRISTMAS ON BEAR MOUNTAIN,
> > but I've seen at least one Tony Strobl story
> > that shows him as living in the Money Bin.
To which Sigvald replied:
> And so does the one guy that yopu for some reason seems to
> ignore at this
> time - Don Rosa, in "The Beagle Boys vs The Money Bin" (2001).

I doubt it was a deliberate slight, and even if it was, stop
being so touchy!  *sigh*
Besides, even with the Rosa universe there are contradictions.
First, in Lo$ 12 we see him in his huge, gothic mansion.  We're
told he sells that.  Okay.  In "Island at the Edge of Time"
Scrooge lives elsewhere and walks to the Money Bin in the early
morning.  In "The Beagle Boys vs. The Money Bin" Scrooge has
quarters in the bin itself.  I like to think he *has* a house
somewhere else, but keeps quarters in the bin too for those
times when he's too busy or tired to go home at night, or during
some crisis when he doesn't want to be away from the bin for
that long.

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/