Brigitta

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 21:28:06 CEST 2003

> Could Brigitta be the answer to Don Rosa's recent question on
> this list:
>
> > The only thing that's needed is a villain who wants nothing
> that $crooge
> > has and is actually a really nice fella who would never
> steal a cent from
> > anyone who can't afford it and wouldn't harm a fly. Who
> would that be?

That was a rhetorical question that Rosa answered himself in the
same post.  He was referring to Arpin Lusene, the Black Knight.
(Plus, "fellow" or "fella" is almost always a male in English.)

Although seeing Brigitta as a villain...now there's an
interesting thought!  I playfully loathe her because she's a
threat to the Scrooge & Goldie relationship, but if not for that
I'd think she was a fun character.  ;)

> You're right, he generally treats so as if she was a
> "goldigger", but deep
> inside he knows well that she's not.

How was Brigitta introduced?  What was the first story in which
she appeared?  I thought it was "The Last Balaboo" but at least
in the Gladstone version I have she wasn't exactly "introduced."
 She just sort of appeared like she'd always been a part of the
duck universe.  Is there a story that explains how she met
Scrooge and first fell for him?

> well, actually, of course, nothing
> really changes,
> because nothing CAN change it being a Disney comic

True.  Although sometimes change would be a good thing.
*grumble grumble Daisy's ridiculous bow grumble grumble*  ;)

> (you can't
> see Scrooge
> and Brigitta get married (*)),

Thank goodness.  Goldie would kill her!  ;)

> (*) Actually they DID get married once, or almost ;-) in a
> story by Massimo
> De Vita though, not by Scarpa... but I guess it's the best
> non-Scarpa
> Brigitta story ever written.

Yes, but from what I understand of that story it wasn't a purely
romantic gesture on Scrooge's part.  You can certainly argue
that he is fond of her, in his own way, but he didn't ask to
marry her because he loved her.  He did that to get a bunch of
land he wanted for his latest business venture.  (I do have a
scan of that story in Spanish somewhere, which I can more or
less understand.)

Of course, to be fair, if Scrooge had lured Goldie that close to
the altar for any reason, even the abovementioned motivation, I
would be a quivering puddle of glee.  So I'm horribly biased.
;)

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com