DCML Digest Issue 13

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Oct 6 15:21:09 CEST 2003

> From: Katie Sullivan <vazali at yahoo.com>
> Subject: scan request
> Described as a picture by Don Rosa of "US on white horse saving
> Goldie from BB."  I absolutely MUST see what this is!  It sounds
> like something that needs to be posted on my wall!  ;)
> http://duckman.pettho.com/sc_cover/v_nafsk31.html
>
> :-D
>
> I love this!!!!!

But let me explain it!
This art was originally a piece that I did as a birthday present for the
editor on the Finnish ROOPE SETA (Uncle $crooge) digest. He is a collector
of American western comics. So I drew him a parody of my favorite western
comic cover TIM HOLT #17. The original was by the great (!!!) Frank
Frazetta, done about 1950, and had the Ghost Rider in $crooge's place riding
at some villains who were torturing actor Victor Mature for some unknowable
reason (Frazetta liked Mature's craggy face and drew him into several
covers/stories). (Side note for no reason -- Victor Mature was born and grew
up in Louisville in the same Italian neighborhood as my father, and they
knew each other until Mature left for Hollywood).

Anyway, I later sent the colored image to the Swedish Donaldists and they
added their magazine info to the cover, but did so by recreating the style
used in the original TIM HOLT #17 title and other cover text elements
absolutely perfectly based on a picture of an actual TIM HOLT #17 I also
sent. Perhaps one of them will send in a link to a scan of that TIM HOLT
issue so you can see what a good job they did, and to compare my
$crooge/Goldie version to the original Ghost Rider/Victor Mature.
Were the Ghost Rider and Victor Mature romantically linked. Only my father
knows, and he won't say. (Mainly because he died last Spring.)