Where does Scrooge sleep?

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Mon Oct 6 23:04:36 CEST 2003

Personally, I like the idea of the flat at the top floor of
the money bin as shown in Don Rosa's plan drawing. Why do we
never see how Scrooge spends his nights, anyway? Is there a
policy that this should be left to the reader's imagination?

The question is more than academic to me. I'm trying to
break through as a Disney writer, and since Egmont seemed to
like the first story I sent them, I've started working on
another. In this story, something terrible happens to the
money bin and I thought it would be more dramatic if it took
place at night. But Scrooge has to be there!

Of course, I could have him working late (I bet he does that
a lot), or taking a last money swim before going home, but I
would really like to show him in bed. It would make him seem
more vulnerable and the whole thing would become more
realistic and personal. Maybe he has a nightgown with dollar
signs on it (a Christmas gift from Grandma), maybe even a
nightcap like Donald used to wear in the old days.

I seem to remeber having seen Scrooge in nightclothes in
Italian stories, but does anyone remember if this has been
shown elsewhere recently? Or is there a rule against it?

Nils Smeby