Barks' Woodchuck Stories and Character Combinations

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Fri Oct 10 15:03:06 CEST 2003

Maybe it's due in part to the wonderfully bouncy Jippes artwork, but I
look forward to reading all of the Barks Woodchucks tales. "Hound of the
Moaning Hills" was hilarious and scary at the same time, and I liked the
"New Zoo Brews Ado" story as well.

Lars wrote:
>José and Panchito were absent from the books for years simply because
>nobody used them. A week or so ago, David Gerstein posted here on the
>DCML that Launchpad had been actively "killed off" when the publishers
>realized he was unpopular amongst readers. Your two examples are totally
>incomparable.

I see what you mean; though it seems that Launchpad has more fans (at
least here on the DCML) than Egmont thinks. I've lost count of the
posters who have said they'd like to see a return of Launchpad. On the
subject of Jose and Panchito, I understand that Paul Murry drew a Jose
Carioca comic strip for several years; I've always wanted to see some of
those stories, but I guess they're not covered under Gladstone's new
non-comic strip license?