Barks' Woodchuck Stories and Character Combinations

Matthew Williams kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net
Fri Oct 10 22:51:26 CEST 2003

Daniel J. Neyer wrote:
>Maybe it's due in part to the wonderfully bouncy Jippes artwork, but I
>look forward to reading all of the Barks Woodchucks tales. "Hound of the
>Moaning Hills" was hilarious and scary at the same time, and I liked the
>"New Zoo Brews Ado" story as well.

Allow me to clarify what I said earlier: despite my earlier comments, I look
forward to seeing all of the Jippes Woodchuck stories too.  Jippes's bouncy
artwork is nothing short of wonderful, and even though the stories are Barks
at his lowest point, I still dig the stories out of an unhealthy Barks
completist attitude.  I think "Hound of the Moaning Hills" is a much better
story than "New Zoo Brews Ado."  I like the one about the beached whale too.
And I love the villainous, more cantankerous version of Scrooge that shows
up in a few of the stories!

On a similar matter, is Jippes still writing comics at all?  I've always had
a lot of respect for his writing in addition to his skill as an artist.

Matthew A. Williams