your vote for (insert name here)!

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Oct 13 09:09:30 CEST 2003

JENNIFER:

> Is there any particular artist/author that you duck fans would like to
> see more of?

I would like to suggest the work of several Italian masters, who are almost
completely unknown in the US:

Artists:
Luciano Gatto
Giovan Battista Carpi
Massimo De Vita

Writer:
Guido Martina

Before I learned about the names behind each artist's style, there was one
style that, for me, stood out above all others in the stories that I
remembered reading as a child. It was not Barks' and it was not Scarpa's; it
was Gatto's! (You can see samples of Gatto's work, including entire stories,
in Italian, at http://www.luciano.gatto.name/ .)

Carpi is the fourth artist, along with Gatto, Barks, and Scarpa, whose stories
I still remember reading as a child.

As for Massimo De Vita, I am just about the only person on earth who is
indifferent to his style, so I just had to add him to the list.

Finally, as someone pointed out a few days ago, if you like Scarpa because of
"The Blot's Double Mystery", then you are actually a Martina fan.

Most of their stories are long, and some of them are in more than one part,
making printing them in monthly, US-style comic books somewhat problematic.
However, as they are also in three-tier format, many of them could be printed
in Donald Duck Adventures, at least the duck stories.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Where there's a will, there's a..."