DCML Digest, Vol 8, Issue 26

kimba1962@comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 14 16:29:10 CEST 2003

"Madame Jennifer" wrote re the portrayal of HD&L in Korhonen's "Sons of the Moon":

> Korhonen's HD&L are different (in a fun way) from Rosa's, even Barks', HD&L.
> He too doesn't treat Huey, Dewey and Louie as three parts to a machine.  I
> like the way they were protrayed in his 'Sons of the Moon' story, even
> though they weren't child prodigies.
> They seemed to act alot like the HD&L from the beginning of the DuckTales
> series, really.

Amen!!! Especially to the last sentence.  While the best Duck creators (including Rosa and Barks) never really DID treat HD&L as "interchangeable parts" and always remembered that they were children as well as precocious adventure-enablers, Korhonen seemed to capture something in this story that had been rarely explored before, at least in print.  This was the sort of Duck story that reminds us that for all the well-established, if not downright "formulaic", aspects of Duck comics (and Disney comics in general), there are always new worlds of characterization to conquer.

Chris Barat
(who'd also like to see more Korhonen stories along the above lines)