Money Bin Model

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat Oct 25 23:41:40 CEST 2003

I have to share this with you, as I really find it amazing myself...

About a year ago, a Norwegian boy, Mats Gullikstad, posted a message in one of
the many web forums I attend where he asked for helps and hints - as he was
building a model of the Money Bin, and needed help on how to do it. I
immediately asked him if he could send me some photoes of it when it was done,
as I thought it sounded like a pretty fascinating project.

Now, he's finished it, and today he sent me some photoes. It was beyond my
wildest imaginations, and I immediately understood that this was something I
had to share with you. I feel sure everybody here will find it just as amazing
as I did.

I've put his photoes online - they're pretty big, so it takes a while loading,
but it's most certainly worth it. The front and roof can be removed, so the
pictures are from both outside and inside the bin.

http://www.andebyonline.com/usmb1.jpg
http://www.andebyonline.com/usmb2.jpg
http://www.andebyonline.com/usmb3.jpg
http://www.andebyonline.com/usmb4.jpg
http://www.andebyonline.com/usmb5.jpg

I get the impression that the main inspiration source here has been the
magnificent blueprints our friends Don Rosa and Dan Shane made - and that Mats
has done about as much work as Don and Dan has. Anyhow, this is really amazing.

A few facts to make everything even MORE amazing:

-- Mats Gullikstad, who built this (alone, I think), is only 15 years old.

-- The model is 40x40x42 centimetres.

-- The dollar sign on the front took him three days to make.

-- The bin is furnished with 250 office desks and 250 chairs made out of
cardboard.

-- All the "coins" in the vault are cardboard from milk boxes, made with a
holing machine, which took veeeeery long.

-- 1st-10th floor can be pulled out like drawers.

-- The windows have glass in them.

-- The door into the vault, which took a day to make, has a turnable wheel.

-- The walls of Scrooge's thinking room are dressed with felt.

I find this to be an absolutely amazing work, so... I just HAD to show it to
you.

If anyone else has a positive comment to this, I'm VERY happy to forward it to
Mats.

Best,
Olaf the Blue