Rosa and Coleridge

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 18:20:42 CET 2003

Matthew A. Williams wrote:

> In the class, we're discussing Samuel Taylor's Coleridge's
> "Kubla Khan."  I
> had small groups looking at the poem on Monday, and they
> seemed to find it
> virtually incomprehensible.  As I tried to explain difficult
> parts of the
> poem to them, I got off into talking about Tralla La!  When I
> came home that
> evening, I quickly pulled out Rosa's "Return to Xanadu."
> Reading back
> through the comic, it struck me that page 6 serves as a
> perfect visual
> accompaniment to a discussion of the story!  The ducklings
> quote the poem,
> there's a beautiful picture of the river Alph, and the
> ducklings even share
> background info on the poem.  Anyway, I've put together a
> spiffy handout
> that will help my students understand and visualize Coleridge
> a bit better
> and will also introduce them to the work of Don Rosa and duck
> comics.  Thank
> you, Mr. Rosa!  If you had just managed to include something
> about
> Coleridge's opium dream... :)

What a great idea!  Let us know how it goes!  :D

When my class studied that poem in 12th grade I brought in that
comic, particularly that panel of "Xanadu" that you described,
to show everyone.  Of course none of them had ever heard of Don
Rosa, or read a duck comic since DuckTales went off the air when
we were in elementary school.  :-p  So they weren't all that
interested, but I was pleased, anyway.

I also brought in "Son of the Sun" to my Spanish class when we
had a unit on the history of the Incas.  When Atahualpa and
Manco Capac came up in discussion, I simply couldn't resist!
^_^

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/