About Pigs and Terries and Fermies

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Sep 1 01:30:59 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD, 01-09-2003:

> AFAIK Barks intended [the Terries and Fermies] to be colored with
> one color only, and that would be with the color of the surrounding
> rocks [...] why else would our Duckburgian friends mistake them for
> being rocks?

Barks's answer seems to be surprisingly simple. In a 1980s idea sketch
"Which Disney Themepark Is This?" (one out of three), the underground
pillars and structures *also* are coloured. In a glowing green,
lightbrown, and purple.
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/art_dpr.html#artdpr029

According to the nephews in "Land Beneath the Ground", the scene has
some kind of phosphorous light. So, that seems to be a reason for the
colours - apart from giving more colour variation to the art. But I
believe that in reality, underground caves can be very colourful, too.
Or am I misguided by false electronic lights, added to make a pretty
picture?

The Ducktales story-adaption "Earth Quack" also shows coloured
Terries and Fermies. I don't know about the rock structures.

The idea sketches resulted in the 1985 painting "In Uncle Walt's
Collectery", *without* any Terries or Fermies.
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/art_dp1980.html#artdp85u01

"Far, Far Down Beneath The Ground", a Barks 1996/1997 colour pencil
for the (IMO) underestimated "Barks Treasury" collection, contains
a green Fermy, and blue, brown, red, purple coloured pillars, as
you can see over here: http://www.seriesam.com/barks/bt0020.jpg

Has Barks really NEVER EVER used "Land Beneath the Ground" in a
painting? Didn't anyone ask him to make one? The story seems to be
almost everyone's favourite!

And I'm beginning to get fond of it, too. Despite the cuts...

--- Daniël

- "And being PIGS must not be too bad, eh boys?"
- "Squee! Squee!"
(Which Barks story?) :-)