Questions from Olaf

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 02:43:43 CEST 2003

Olaf asks:

> -- I noticed that a few stories in the July issue of US (or was it
> June?) did
> not have the same titles as in INDUCKS - and as I assume the titles in
> INDUCKS
> are the original titles from Egmont, I get the impression that these
> titles are
> CHANGED by Gemstone. Am I wrong, or is that the case? If so, why?

I don't know right at the moment which stories you mean (I'm mentally
completely absorbed by the material going into the December issues -
six books in all, and two of 'em - DDA #3 and Christmas Parade No. 1 -
all mine to finalize and send out to prepress by next week, hoo hah!),
but we do change titles of Egmont stories here and there. One reason is
that the Egmont title doesn't quite seem to capture what the story is
about, at least as we see it. Another is that the title seems clunky
somehow, or just plain dull. We may or may not improve it by our
substitution, but these are the reasons we do it.

> -- Another similar question: In Gemstone publications, Miss Typefast's
> name is
> changed to "Quackfaster" because that's her name in American. But when
> it was
> said a month or two ago that Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow
> lived in
> Duckburg, that was not changed to Mouseton (which I assume is their
> hometown in
> American). Why not?

Simple: we didn't catch that reference to Duckburg until the story had
gone to press.

Gary