DCML Digest, Vol 7, Issue 31 (margarine factory)

kimba1962@comcast.net kimba1962 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 14 15:09:15 CEST 2003

LARRY GIVER wrote:

> I got the new Gemstone US321, which has a DD story, "Willing Little Helpers".
> The dialogue is credited to Gary Leach, so I suppose than means he
> did the final translating into Americanese.  I noticed on page 2, panel 3
that
> Donald says he worked all day at the margarine factory.  Gary Leach should
> know that Duckburg, Calisota, USA has no margarine factory; instead Donald
> often works at the "skunk oil factory", as originated by Barks long ago.

I regarded this reference as simply another entry in the long list of "crazy
job locations" for Donald.  Barks also had Donald working at a "vinegar works"
among other places.  I don't think that Barks ever really settled upon
a "standard" job location for Donald; he basically went with whatever seemed
funniest and most incongruous.  Van Horn has done the same.

Chris Barat