Barks letter to Rosa

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Sep 22 14:39:36 CEST 2003

HARRY FLUKS to DON ROSA, 22-09-2003:

>> When Blum asked me for copies of some of my personal correspondence
>> with Barks, it was for use in a study he said he was making of Barks'
>> correspondence.

> I think the letter was published in one of the "Carl Barks Library
> of WDC in Color" albums, possibly number 44.

Maybe you're confused with Geoffrey Blum's article 'Raiders of the Lost
Barks', published in Gladstone album 'Uncle $crooge Adventures - Isle
of Golden Geese' No. 42, 1998. This article contains transcriptions of
three letters from Carl Barks to Don Rosa:

November 3, 1990
March 31, 1991
April 22, more or less [1991]

Apart from some story ideas, these letters contain two 1990s family trees
made by Barks for Rosa. A first version, and an updated version. This
updated version was made after Rosa sent Barks a xerox of Barks's 1950s
family tree. Only the first version is shown in Blum's article.

As far as I know, the updated version is still unpublished. According to
Blum's description, it contains the names of Old "Scotty" McDuck, and
provides names for Grandma's children.

There's at least one more letter from Barks to Rosa. A very small excerpt
of that letter has been published in footnote 5 of 'The Carl Barks Library
of Walt Disney's Donald Duck Adventures in Color' No. 22. The date of that
letter is:

October 21, 1988

So, in total, there are at least four letters from Barks to Rosa, including
two new family trees.

Information about letters from Rosa to Barks is unknown, though the Barks's
letters sometimes hint at some of their contents.

Some questions for Don Rosa:

- Is my information correct?
- Are there more Barks letters than the ones I've mentioned?
- Is there more material than what I've mentioned? (Sketches, notes, etc.)
- Do you still have all versions of Barks's 1990s family trees? And would
  you allow them to be published or xeroxed?
- Do you still have copies of your own letters to Barks?

--- Daniël