Choose "money or life" in DuckTales movie?

Larry Giver lgiver at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 29 09:57:14 CEST 2003

    A few days ago the segment of the DuckTales movie was discussed
where the genie makes Scrooge think whether his money or his life
itself is more important.  I had thought that the writers must have been
inspired by Jack Benny's old version of this dilemna.  Jack Benny was
a very popular commedian on radio in the 1940s and early television in
the 1950s.  He had developed a persona as being very frugal and tight
with his money.  In one episode, a robber confronts him with a pistol, and
demands "Your money or your life".  The robber, of course, is not
referring to his total wealth, but just the money in his wallet, and perhaps
his wristwatch, etc.  Jack Benny does not respond to this demand.
The robber prods him to hurry (and had over his wallet).  But Benny
responds "I'm thinking it over!"  He hadn't decided the choice posed by
the robber's demand.
    I just got Gemstone's US322, and came across this quote in
"Dime and Dime Again" part 2.  "Root-te-toot!  Root-te-toot!  I'm a girl from
the institute!"   This seemed very familiar, and sure enough, this
line is recycled from a Barks story---who knows which one?