Rosa's own li'l Universe

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Fri Apr 2 08:55:35 CEST 2004

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

>I don't understand why you need Barks's ingredients and legency, to
>build your "own" li'l Universe. That's an impossible thing to do. It
>will never be your Universe, because many of your stories are based
>on the work of *someone else*. Barks, to be exactly.

What I don't understand is why it wouldn't be Don's own universe? He
writes the stories and does the art all by himself. No one else has much
direct influence on what is creating. He's work is based on characters
created by others and with elements used by Barks in his stories, but
that's it. That's hardly unheard of in comic business - and everyone who
does mouse or duck stories is doing it the same way - basing it to the
work of others. Your comments seem to belittle everyone who creates
disney comics.  I say these people are creating unique stories of their
own and if they feel that they have some kind of continuity in their
stories whether in  style, setting or plots, they can call it "their
universe" if they like. Its not like they are trying get the credit of
creating the characters by calling it that, just for the way they are
using them in their stories.

>And if you structurally re-use Barks's story elements to force them
>into your own stories, then I don't find it surprising that a lot of
>Barks fans feel hurt and are angry at you for "raping" Barks's Universe.
>(Note the quotation.)

People like that should grow up. Additionally, to blame *one author* of
re-using Barks's story elements when there are hundreds is plain crazy
or very ignorant. Maybe they should go out more and get some perspective
to life before they share their comments?

>I think that such criticism is something to expect. And why not?

Sure. World is full of crazy fans, it goes with the territory when you
get famous. My wife is a huge fan of Viggo Mortensen and she just told
me a story of some crazy fans who actually think that mr. Mortensen is
Aragorn in real life.... Its expectable, but it still makes no sense
unless the one who says those things has some mental problems or has
plain resent for that one famous person  (envy , perhaps?).

>You're known to throw a tantrum when a translator misinterprets some
>parts of your dialogue, or when a colourist doesn't follow your
>instructions when colouring this-or-that historical boat, uniform or
>building.

Tantrum might not be good word, but I guess you were trying to heat up
the conversation. Still, that doesn't warrant much of reply: creator
just points out that the work is not quite as it was intended, because
someone made a mistake. It just makes sense to point it out. Since we're
talking about Don, it should be said that he always takes blame himself,
when he screws thing up. He even tells us about it before anyone spots
the mistake in the first place. I guess you would be pissed too, if
someone screwed up a detail, for which you did hours (or even days) of
research for.

>So, apparently, it is indeed possible to get very angry about ducks
>and "Universes", on a public mailing list. But as long as people are
>open for politely and patiently discussing their personal views, there
>is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I *welcome* such discussions.

Sometimes its fun to argue about things you like.  I've been to many
mailing lists and all the active ones have heated conversations from
time to time. Still, it never ceases to amaze me how resentful some
people seem to be. And  some are just plain nuts, like the Barks fans
ones you were quoting above.. :-)