Universes

Anders Christian Sivebæk anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Sat Apr 3 10:43:33 CEST 2004

Hi all

The dcml-digest was downright interesting today. It reminds me of
something we discussed the other day in a lesson at the college I study
at. (We've had our last lessons btw - there are only exams left now - and
then I'm an educated teacher with a bachelor-degree!)
Exactly as another contributor here said, every reader has his/her own
duck universe. A reader reads the book with a background, a set of
interpretations, a set of opinions. If the reader, as is the case on this
mailing list, has contact with the author, things can change - in the way
that you might take some interpretation from the author (not that this
happened to me). An example: some kids in a class write to an author and
ask a questiion about how to interpret this or that thing in a books he
wrote - he writes back that they've misunderstood something there.... -
well, that's not correct - each of these kids are readers too, and have a
right to their own interpretation - the author has one wiev of his story -
after a book or story is published, you give your "child" to be
interpreted/read by everyone. I experinenced this with a class in a
paractise once - they'd seen the first harry Potter movie and were
thinking about their own wievs inside their heads before they saw the
movie... - I felt I had to tell them that the wiev of eg. hermione that
they had in their head is exactly as good as the wiev the caster of the
movie had...

I don't know if Egmont has officially said no to a story because it didn't
follow the storylines from Rosas story. If they have done so, this would
be against what Don has told here - his stories are just his version. I
would be very sorry if this had happened. I've juust heard of authors not
following an idea, because it would differ with a Rosa-story - I find that
very annoying... and who is to blame? the author himself, that he doesn't
want to finish the idea, or the loose idea they all maybe have that Egmont
would actually turn such an idea down or? For one IMO Don is not to blame
for it.

Daniël, you wrote: So, you can't just ask people to ignore you. If people
would want to ignore you, they would have to skip a lot of issues with
Rosa
in them. And what if these issues with Rosa, also contain interesting
material by other Disney artists? What then?

You don't have to skip an issue to avoid reading a certain story, of which
you recognize the lines - you can just jump over it - that's what i did
with certain Mickey artists for many years of my youth. I just did it
thinking: oh, that's the boring Mickey-story... - There are many stories
there i haven't read and don't intend to read - people can do exactly the
same with Rosa, it's a choice. But many can't - the stories does awake
something in them, that they have to get out - that tells something about
quality (?) that you can't avoid them even if you want to. - But in the
end, it's all a matter of choice.

BTW I bought 300 Duck issues today, for ½ a dollar each - which is quite
cheap knowing that at least 140 of them are in mint shape with the gifts
and so intact. I'll switch them with my double and have a lot of good
stuff for fellow donaldists on our next meeting.

Seeya - and Happy easter holidays!

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist