Concerning the Rosa debate

Anthony Vuono avuono at UDel.Edu
Sun Apr 4 22:50:52 CEST 2004

Don Rosa said:
    "Here's a warning: the only way I will allow myself to tell a story of
$crooge and Goldie *during* the Yukon is to expound on a meeting that Barks
already described, but not to add any additional Yukon adventures. This
means that I might do a story involving the month when $crooge kidnapped
Goldie to White Agony Creek. That will be a very tricky but very fun story
to tell... and yet I'm postponing it because I know that will have to be the
ONLY time I can ever do a $crooge/Goldie Yukon adventure."

    Personally, I cannot wait for Don to start working on that one, as I am
a devoted fan to his work, especially the LofS series. In fact, I hope he
starts this Yukon tale after the Brazil adventure.
    Anyways, I do not see what the big deal is with this entire debate.
People just have different tastes when it comes to the Ducks. Some admire
strict continuity and the 1950s setting (like I do), while many other
readers prefer standalone or more modern stories. Both views are fine. I
guess the argument revolves around being forced to accept one way of doing
things verses another. If an artists wants to follow Barks/Rosa "facts,"
then fine. If someone else wants to write and draw Scrooge stories
differently, then also fine. Even though I am a rabid Rosa fan who loves
dates, prequels, and sequels, I would never force my opinions on anyone else
nor should other devout Rosa/Barks followers do so. While I like ALL Scrooge
stories, I just prefer a particular artist's or artists' vision as the
"truth." However, that does not mean other readers or artists should
automatically follow that one timeline or history. For all I care, they can
go about and create their own one. It is just my personal taste that I
really enjoy the Rosa/Barks established lore. There is nothing wrong with
that.
    Since the 3rd grade, I grew up with Don Rosa stories. I did not grow up
with Carl Barks like millions of people did. Actually, Rosa's tales first
sparked an interest in Barks and not vice versa. I am sure other Americans
and maybe some Europeans feel the same way. Naturally, I have a special
attachment to Rosa's work more than anything else available in the Duck
market. Even as a freshman in the university, I still keep track of
everything that goes on with Gemstone and Rosa. Every so often, I like to
express my respect and love through this list and private correspondence.
Again, there is nothing wrong with that or encouraging fellow fans to read
the stories. However, there is something wrong with me telling people that
they must follow Rosa/Barks strictly, support only their works, or condemn
others who do not accept that universe (s).
    Now, I will continue to put on a pedastal mainly Rosa/Barks/Van Horn
comic stories. If other fans really like Rota, Jippes, or Scarpa instead,
then they should do the same and make their views and opinions known to the
public. Anyone who puts them down for doing so is a fool. Basically, we all
possess different tastes and preferences. Let us just deal with them and
admire the endless stream of creativity, which has kept these beloved
characters going for such a long time.
Sincerely,
Anthony