Least favorite Barks story; Mars & Venus;

Dyer, Sonia sonia.dyer at hp.com
Tue Apr 6 21:00:35 CEST 2004

I've only ready one Barks story that I really disliked, and that was The
Treasure of Marco Polo.  IMO it was uncharacteristically very unpleasant
in tone and totally not-amusing.  It seems to be rarely re-printed, and
maybe that's why.
------
Cord Wiljes wrote:
>I have a question to our U.S./British list members: Was the expression
>
>   "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
>
>a common saying even prior to John Grays enormously successful
international bestseller of the same title (which was published a few
years ago)?

>Or could Barks' Interplanetary Mailman story have influenced this?

That was not a common saying, although the astrology symbols for Mars
and Venus have been used by the medical profession for years to
represent a male and female of a species respectively.  What WAS a
common saying, in the US anyway, was "<Person's name> must be from Mars
if they don't know that <fact regarded as common knowledge here on
Earth>".  Gray simply picked up that thread.
  I don't recall ever reading the Interplanetary Mailman story.  If it
was published in the 50s, then it's certainly possible Mr Gray saw it.
There may have been similar influences from the movies of the 40s/50s
time period - in "Abbott and Costello Go to Mars", the heros actually
end up on planet Venus, which is populated by beautiful women who had
banished their men due to, well, refer to Gray's book.

	Sonia