Tintin (OT)

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Apr 7 18:55:14 CEST 2004

Eta Beta wrote:

> Franquin, whom I consider among the greatest geniuses in comics
> histoy, let that be clear, also "killed" Gaston Lagaffe, which is
> almost unforgivable...

Wasn't the plan to let others take over Gaston Lagaffe from him, when he
got ill? Was the idea dropped?

> How could Herge' *know* some new Barkses or Franquins wouldn't be
> there, ready to pick up his old characters and situations, and
> possibly bring them to new heights ?

According to "Tintin et moi", the Tintin adventures are essentially
reflections of Hergé himself. For instance, in the late 1950s he went
through a personal crisis, which is mirrored in "Tintin in Tibet"; a few
years later, he was a happy man, which is reflected in "The Castafiore
Emerald" ("Les Bijoux de la Castafiore"). The only one who could make
real Tintin stories was Hergé; when he died, the series died. Any
attempt from other creators to do Tintin would be pastiche. And,
seriously, how interesting is that?

Lars