Barks and Blum (and a pinch of van Eijmeren)

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Wed Apr 7 23:30:24 CEST 2004

> Scrooge doesn't really plan to move his money, unless you consider his
> Old Number One dime. Well, yes, 10 cents should be enough, I think. :-)
>
> It's 'Lost Beneath the Sea' (US 46). Another story in which the nephews
> refer to judo, as in 'Hall Of The Mermaid Queen' (US 68).
>
> Scrooge wants newspaper reporter Donald to simmer down, because he
> (Scrooge) tries to keep a trip out of the news for business reasons. His
> family has to help him guard the Old Number One dime.

Hm... I'm afraid I never read that story (someone said two years ago that
there's a lot of Barks I haven't read, and unfortunately it's still true),
but... Am I the only person being reminded of Geoffrey Blum's "From Dime to
Dime" ("Dime and Dime Again") when hearing this?

Are the two stories relatively similar around this?

If so, does anyone know whether this was an intended hommage or plot theft,
or if this is a coincidence?

I get a feeling that this part of the story is similar in both these
stories, and Geoffrey Blum of all people must have known about this Barks
story (even though I didn't). So, if they are as similar as you give me the
expression of, I'm curious to whether this was an hommage, a theft of plot
Blum hoped nobody would notice, or a plain coincidence. Does anyone know?