Letters and ads...

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 14:00:42 CEST 2004

Derek:

> I was just wondering why DDA doesn't have a letters column of some
> sort. Is it just because the pages are so small that you'd be hard
> pressed to print more than one letter per page? I probably answered my
> own question, but I'd like to know.

You did answer your own question, to a point. Also, as we look at DDA
(and the forthcoming one-shot MMA) as books, rather than periodicals,
we're less inclined to want to include periodical-type features such as
letter columns.

Be that as it may, DDA 6 does include a letter column. Brief, as you
might suppose, but as these books are all about  Disney comics we
thought it was time to offer some reader comment on them. (Maybe past
time, but there you go.)

> I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Gemstone's(or Diamond's
> though I think Gemstone is a division of that company) own
> advertisiments take up most or probably all of the advertising pages
> in the issues... Does Gemstone/Diamond want it that way or have not
> many other advertisiers wanted to put ads in the issues?

Getting ads for the comics is outside the purview of the
editorial/production department, so it's difficult for me to give a
good answer to this. What I can say is that our license permits
in-house and outside advertising, and we'd very much like to have both.
However, Disney must approve all advertising, no matter the source, and
that may have something of a damping effect on outside advertisers -
but it shouldn't altogether prevent us from acquiring some.

By the way, Gemstone is not a division of Diamond - it is a separate
corporate entity established by Steve Geppi, who also established
Diamond, and owns both.

Gary