Barks horror stories / Mad dentists

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 13 14:49:49 CEST 2004

MARTIN THORESEN to me, 12-04-2004:

> To me, 10 litres of blood define the limit when a "horror" becomes
> a "splatter" and loses it's "scary-ness".

Losing it's scary-ness? Not for me.
I already faint when I see a bottle of tomatoe ketchup! :-)

So, needless to say, I rarely watch bloody movies.

> But, the definition of "horror" is a much debated one, and most
> people differ in their opinions about the genre.
> For instance, Agatha Christies crime-novels have often been defined
> as "horror".
> I can only give my own definition of "horror", and that is something
> that gives me a creepy feeling, that has a definite spooky atmosphere
> and builds up slowly.

In The Netherlands we use the (untranslated) terms "horror" and "thriller"
for movies. Are we the only ones who seem to make a distinction between
these two terms?

I think 'Dangerous Disguise' (OS 308) might be a "thriller" according to
that distinction. But I'm only guessing here!

Other examples of Barks horror stories would be 'the Terror of the River!!'
(OS 108), and 'The Firebug' (OS 108). Right?

Just an off-topic thought: Has there ever been a horror movie about a mad,
evil dentist? :-) That's just about the most horrible theme I can imagine.
Even without blood. Brrrr!!!

And to make it on-topic: Has there ever been a Disney story with such a
mad dentist theme?

> (I will finish off with apoligies for any spelling mistakes, but I
> wrote too much, and I'm tired, and I'm Norwegian, and I've run out
> excuses.....)

:-D

--- Daniël

Barks quiz: There's a little visual error in "Letter to Santa". (CP 1)

hint #1: look at Santa Donald while fighting with Santa Scrooge.
hint #2: look at Donald's custome on page 21 to 24.
hint #3: Donald's boot