Bing! You're hypnotized!

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 13 15:36:54 CEST 2004

KRITON KYRIMIS, 13-04-2004:

> WARNING: Contains spoilers for [Rosa's] "Forget It"!
> I just read the US edition of "Forget It", which for some reason
> read as quite a different story from the Greek edition, which I'd
> read last month. A quick comparison between the two editions showed
> that the difference was in Magica's explanation, in the beginning of
> the story, of what her spell did.

I believe there was a dialogue difference in The Netherlands, too,
sligthly changing the original spell. But I'm not sure.

> Compared to this misunderstood version, the original version seemed to
> me as a mere series of gags on a common theme. Could it be that one
> could actually *improve* on a story by Don?

Why not?

I find Rosa's "Forget It" confusing, because I find the explanation of
Magica's spell too complicated. I find the idea behind the spell very
funny and interesting, though. It's just the explanation that I find
confusing.

Something similar happened with Rosa's "Trash and Treasure". There were
so many details and things going on, that I had to turn back pages to
see if there was something I missed. That ruined the story for me.

I found stories like "A Matter of Gravity" very funny because the basic
idea was so clear and simple. Just imagine sideway-gravity, that's all
the explanation that's needed to understand the story. I miss that
clarity in "Forget It".

--- Daniël