Glittering Generalities

Dave Rawson TheGuy at DrawsOn.Com
Sun Aug 22 00:25:42 CEST 2004

I see the subject of autuer vs collaboration has popped up.

I first ran into this early in my career when Will Eisner and I were
among many others guest instructors in Dublin for a two-week training
course put together by Bob Foster.

Mr. Eisner was of the strong opinion that only a single creator could
ever create great (comic book) art. I was too callow and cowed to take
public issue.

Most of my collaborative work since then certainly bears out the notion
that (paraphrasing): axiomatically no two people can communicate with
each other as well as one can with oneself and, therefore, collaboration
will always result in a diminished endeavor.

However, there are disturbing unstated presumptions in the above.

The problem lies in the nature of collaboration itself and how a
creative individual approaches the task.

If one has autuerial instincts, and believes that the outcome should
literally capture their imagination's construct, immense frustration
usually results, because of the Eisner axiom above.

However, if one goes into the process recognizing the limits and
_strengths_ of collaboration, the results can become timeless. True art.
Expressive and whole in a way that is exciting, rewarding and
galvanizing to the participants.

One of the most important (but usually unrecognized) goals of the
collaborative writer, in my opinion, is to provide an environment rife
with potential. To provide rich characters, imaginative situations and
inventive plots; to find things that will not only resonate with the
audience, but with those who participate in the act of creation.

In short, the task of an initiating collaborator is to assemble the
components of potential, the intellectual fecundity, with which those
who follow may emphasize, develop or polish to their own best inclination.

There are few things more delightful than to be pleasantly surprised by
the joy reflected back at one's initial efforts by the accretive effort
attached to it.

To be more concrete. Think of a playwright who depends on actors to
inhabit his characters. So, too, can a mature artist add their own life
experience (instincts, quirks, exaggerations) to a character, setting or
plot created initially by a writer.

Good collaborators resonate. The resulting chord can be much richer than
any solitary note.

Even autuers rely on paper manufacturers, colorists, printers,
distributors, store owners and a host of others to get their creation to
their audience.

At any rate, my direct experience has convincingly taught me that the
sum _can_ be more than the whole of the parts. In fact, there is
astonishing power when just a handful of committed individuals work
together for a common goal. It is literally transforrmative.

I think folks who have never personally experienced this, quite
reasonably, don't imagine or can't conceive that it exists.

In Will Eisner's case, with his historic wealth of experience on almost
all sides of the equation, as creator, as autuer, as studio boss of
work-for-hire creators, to him I bow. I will never know as much as he
has forgotten.

But I reject the notion that because he has never experienced the same
satisfaction working with another that he has in his own singular
creation, that one can generalize and say, therefore, that it is impossible.

I have worked in a much wider variety of industries and with a much more
varied set of collaborators, and while disappointment is the most common
result, the luminescence of transcendent creations shine of a collective
spirit than burns brighter than any mere spark.

Such collaborations illuminate spirit itself because, ultimately, that
is what is being communicated in the best of any human creation.