Who really "sparkles"?

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Sun Aug 22 05:10:39 CEST 2004

Theresa,

> But that all comes back to what you are used to as the original form,
> doesn't it? The original Asterix was made by a duo. Original Rosa stuff
> is a one-person job.

Asterix was also created by that same duo. However, the original form
of the comic book Disney ducks was given to us by Carl Barks, in
stories still regarded in many quarters as unequalled in any genre. So
we must already scribe an important demarcation between the "original
forms" of the work of Goscinny and Uderzo and Don Rosa  - the former
were original from the start, while Don has been going on from where an
arguably greater creator left off.

More to the point of the discussion from which your question arose, is
Don's 'spark' something special, in a way that the 'spark' in Goscinny
and Uderzo, as collaborators, wasn't, solely because he is one man and
they were two? Well, one man certainly embodies a different creative
dynamic than two men, so I suppose there is something to that. But two
men embody a creative dynamic that is just as distinct, and just as
unfathomable, as that residing in one. Inspiration, in the end, comes
out through whatever agencies it requires.

Gary