November 2004 Gemstone Comic Book Previews with My Comments + Gary Leach Q

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 04:26:33 CEST 2004

Hi all!

Here are the previews for Gemstone comics coming out in November from
Previews Volume XIV #9.

Walt Disney's Christmas Parade #2 --- A holiday special featuring Mickey,
Donald, and other popular Disney characters! Carl Barks' classic Holiday tale
from the original Christmas Parade #2, "You Can't Guess," is the featured story
in this year's Yuletide offering from Gemstone. A new cover from Europe graces
the front of the book, while a Don Rosa Christmas pin-up is featured on the
back cover. Prestige Format. SC, 7x10, FC $8.95

Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas Special --- Adaptation of Disney's Mickey's
Twice Upon A Christmas, a direct-to-video November release starring Mickey,
Donald and Goofy! Mickey Mouse narrates and stars in this selection of short
Holiday stories, also featuring Donald, Daisy, Minnie, Scrooge, Huey, Dewey,
Louie, Pluto, Goofy and his son Max, and of course, Santa, his elves, and the
reindeer! Prestige Format. SC, 7x10, 32 pages, FC $3.95

Mickey Mouse and Friends #271 --- A vintage Mickey Mouse Christmas story by
Gil Turner entitled, appropriately enough, "Christmas Story," leads off this
issue, followed by "Food Fight," a Donald tale written by Michael T. Gilbert.
Then Mickey, starring along with Doc Static, completes the issue with "The Santa
Skeptic," written by Byron Erickson. FC, 32 pages $2.95

Donald Duck Adventures #9 --- Three long Disney adventure stories: Donald in
"Last of the Blackducks," in which he embarks on a treasure hunt with the
ghost of his grand-grand-grand-uncle -- a pirate!; Then Mickey stars in "Just Be
Nice," which pits him again against the three mad scientists, Ecks, Doublex,
and Triplex; and lastly, Uncle Scrooge stars in "Right to the Source," which
takes him, Donald and Gyro to Egypt in search of ancient treasure. SC, 5x7, 128
pages, FC $7.95

Donald Duck and Friends #322 --- In this issue: "Wintertime Wager," a classic
( is there anyother kind apparently? :P  ) Carl Barks 10-pager (his first
story starring Gladstone Gander), is featured, along with a Mickey Mouse
adventure, "Uncle Elvis' Ranch," written by Donald D. Markstein; and a Dutch Donald
Duck story, "Big Brain Blowout!" A nice Christmas-themed cover by Daniel Branca
wraps the issue. FC, 32 pages $2.95

Uncle Scrooge #336 --- Carl Barks' classic ( I guess there isn't) Christmas
story, "Christmas For Shacktown," leads off this issue! A modern Scrooge
Holiday tale, "Christmas Magic," wraps the issue, with a Scrooge adventure, "The
Egyptian prince's Secret," and the Pat and Shelly Block-written Grandma Duck
story, "She Can feel It In Her Bones," completing the issue. Cover by Daniel
Branca. SC, 7x10, 64 pages, FC $6.95

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #651 --- This issue sports a new Christmas
cover by William Van Horn, along with a vintage Van Horn Donald Duck adventure,
"Just a Humble, Bumbling Duck!" Also featured is "Daredevil Delivery," by
Daan Jippes, and "Bogus Badger" by Pat and Shelly Block, along Mickey, Li'l Bad
Wolf (okay, honestly, it's time for Bucky Bug to order a hit on that
predictable canine. Apparently that's the only way for Bucky to get into the comics,
since I guess it's either Li'l Bad Wolf or Bucky Bug. The slot  can't alternate
apparently), Horace, and Pluto stories. SC, 7x10, 64 pages, FC $6.95

And finally, from TokyoPop, and what is personally my most anticpated comic
for the month: Lizzie McGuire!!!!!!!!

Lizzie McGuire Cine-Manga Volume 9: Magic Train and Grubby Longjohn's Olde
Tyme Revue --- Lizzie thought nothing could be as embarassing as her family's
annual jaunt to Grubby Gulch, a rather tame "Wild West" theme park. Well, she
was  so wrong! When Lizzie and Miranda are caught at a taping of their favorite
childhood show, "Clover and Daisy's Magic Train," will the trip down memory
lane stop at the hall of shame? SC, 5 x 7 7/16, 96 pages $7.99

Whew! Glad that ended. Anymore and I'd have to take out a bank loan. :p  $42
for all that, though you are getting a lot. That figure doesn't include Lizzie
McGuire, which I'll reluctantly have to sacrifice that month. ;) All in all,
a good and very crowded month. Also Christmas Parade #1 is being offered again
for those who didn't buy it last time. Also, the Mickey's Twice Upon A
Christmas, along with The Three Musketeers-type projects are encouraging, I just
wish Gemstone had a presence in the book store/retail enviroment to take more
advantage of these special issues (especially as it could help the $3 regular
comics).

A few questions for Gary: One, is Christmas Parade #2 going to be 80 pages? I
assume it is, but the preview doesn't say. And second, in Uncle Scrooge #333,
on the inside front cover, the Romano Scarpa story is referred to as "Gone
WIth The Winned." But on the story page itself, it is entitled "One With The
Wind." Which title is the  correct one? And I'm glad, based on John's comments in
the issue, that this is somewhat of an indication of more Scarpa stories to
be published in the future. Yay! :)

Derek Smith