Dead Characters

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 11:44:52 CET 2004

Don Rosa posted:

I planned to have both Matilda *and* Hortense in that story until the
editors told me that they were both "officially dead". (The characters, not
the editors.) But I argued successfully for at least using Matilda.

*snip*

But once again, the editors decreed that LvD was
"officially dead" and I could not include him (even though Barks once used
him in a 1-page gag)

How/why are certain characters declared dead/offlimits? Is there some
creative/artistic reason for doing so, or is it some corporate decision? While I'm
sure the decisions are made thoughtfully, from the outside looking in, some of
the decisions about who is "dead" and who isn't seem sort of arbitrary or
haphazard. I don't know if you know the answers to these questions or not, but if
you do, it would be interesting to hear it.

My personal opinion, if the story is good and if the characters are true to
their spirit, then who cares what characters are used in the story? A
writer/artist should be able to use whoever they wish if the above is fulfilled.

Derek Smith