Christmas and First Stories

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Sat Dec 25 09:07:47 CET 2004

Hi all!

I'd like to wish DCML members and readers a Merry Christmas. I hope it turns
out to be a great day for all of you and that no one gets a lump of coal in
their stocking. I remember the first time I found the DCMl. My first reaction
was "Wow! People that like/talk about Disney comics?!" It was great and I've
learned alot following all the discussions.

Speaking of nostalgia, what was the first Disney comic or story that you
remember reading? My first encounter with Disney comics was Christmas of 1990. The
JCPenny catalog offered a package of 12 Disney Comics (as well as Nintendo
Comics). So I asked for those for Christmas. It had Mickey Mouse Adventures #1
among others. The first story that I can really remember reading was "Three
Dirty Little Ducks" in WDCS 544 (which came in the package). From then on, I was
always getting Disney comics at various stores.

Towards the last year or two of Gladstone Series II, I got out of it because
I just plain couldn't find them in stores. I guess I should have started going
to comics shops then, but somehow that didn't occur to me. But by then, the
$6.95 comics had started to take over, so I couldn't have bought them anyway.
Heck, I thought things were getting pricey when the comics went from $1.50 to
$1.95! Oh what 5 years absence of Disney comics will do to make one tolerable
to paying more for comics. ;) After that, Toy Liquidators was my friend, buying
$1 Gladstone comics that apparently didn't too well the first time around,
but that dried up after a year as well.

And then, in June 2003, I made my way to a comics shop and on the door was a
poster heralding the return of Disney comics! That advertising was a pleasant
surprise and when I got in, they had Uncle Scrooge 319. I made what I
considered a small capital investment of $6.95 (time has obviously made me oblivious
to the cost. ;) And that's when the fun began and hasn't stopped since.

I only meant to talk about my first comic, not my whole saga with Disney
comics, but I guess that doesn't matter. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Derek Smith