DCML Digest Issue 2

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Feb 1 15:37:03 CET 2004

> From: "M.J. Prior" <M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl>
> Subject: Matilda *is* Don's creation
> Well, since Carl Barks only provided her name, and Don
> Rosa
> designed her looks and provided her with a character, I'd
> say Matilda actually *is* Don's creation.
> Would you say that James Bond was *not* Ian Fleming's
> creation, only because he borrowed the name from an
> ornithologist friend of his?

Though I feel it was Barks who created Matilda McDuck even though I gave her
a face and personality, I think it's a moot point.
But to show you the flaw in your logic before someone else does, regardless
as to whether you're ultimately right or wrong if either right or wrong you
can be in this case, I'd say you picked a bad example to illustrate your own
point. Ian Fleming gave a name to his character, but it was Sean Connery who
gave him a face and a personality (somewhat different from Fleming's
original)... so by your logic it was Sean Connery who created James Bond.
I'd say both Fleming and Connery (and some directors and screenwriters)
created the character most of the world knows as this Bond James Bond.
Perhaps the McDuck Matilda McDuck situation is similar?