Bond James Bond

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Mon Feb 2 21:07:43 CET 2004

Don Rosa:

> I'd say both Fleming and Connery (and some directors and
> screenwriters) created the character most of the world
> knows as this Bond James Bond.
> Perhaps the McDuck Matilda McDuck situation is similar?

Heh. So if Carl Barks were Ian Fleming, you'd be Sean
Connery? Or, given the fact that you began creating Duck
stories in the eighties and still do so in the 21th
century you'd be more like Timothy Dalton or Pierce
Brosnan - except that James Bond movies aren't done in
retro-style.

Speaking of which, in the first panel of "Trash and
Treasure", Donald swings his sailor hat towards the
hatstand, like James Bond always did in those early
movies. Is this a Bond reference or just a funny thing?

It occurs to me that this Donald-Quackfaster-$crooge
office situation resembles the triangle Bond-Moneypenny-M
-- as would any other employee-secretary-employer
situation -- and would lend itself perfectly for Bond
injokes.
Right now I can't think of anything funny, though.

Greetings,

Michiel Prior.

P.S.: In "Tintin and the Picaros", Captain Haddock also
threw his [sailor] hat towards a hatstand - and missed.
It has been said this was a reference to James Bond.

And for the Dutch readers: in "Baantjer", De Cock does
this trick in every episode.