Ice Cream and Webfoot County

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Feb 7 09:54:21 CET 2004

Voor Harry F. & Michiel P.:

In the "olden days", predating Carl Barks' youth, vanilla was THE flavour of
ice cream. There was not the myriad of flavours as is available nowadays;
leading to long, worrisome decisions when one is at the ice cream shoppe or
parlour, as to which of the scads of flavours to choose.  When Barks was young
chocolate and a few others had been added. But, the old timers, remembering
having only the basic vanilla in "the good old days"; stuck to THAT as being
representative of the times that were simple, and uncomplicated.
Therefore, "I'll take vanilla" became a phrase which was popular to represent
the "simple" choice,... avoiding complication.

For Rich B.:
I feel that as Barks "invented" Duckburg, and Calisota, we should go by his
choice of Duck County as the county of Duckburg's location.  I researched ALL
ofCarl Barks' Disney Duck comic book panels, cover art, unpublished material,
before drawing maps of Duckburg, its outer environs, Duck County and Calisota.
In that research, I found a few references to Duck County, as the location of
Duckburg. In the Gyro Gearloose story in which Gyro's Helper chases the crows
away, he is shown leaving his own county of residence (Duck County), and
entering, the adjacent, Goose Egg County.  I faintly remember a reference to a
Webfoot County, but don't remember if Barks intended THAT county to be the
county in which the City of Duckburg is to be located. Can you please tell cite
the reference (story and page containing Barks' reference).  And please
indicate how it is certain that Duckburg is inside that county. If so, I
believe Barks has then produced another contradiction.  I can't remember the
other one or two panels in which Barks refers to Duck County, but I am almost
sure that one of them indicates clearly that Duckburg DOES, INDEED lie within
the boundaries of Duck County, or I would not have placed it so on my maps.  If
there are only two specific references, one each for Duck and Webfoot Counties,
then I believe we should allow "evidence" from outside (non-Barks) sources,
such as other Disney comic book artists, and the TV series "DuckTales". If
there are more Barks references for one, rather than the other, I think we
should go by the designation with the most occurrances.

Rob Klein