FORBIDDEN ANGST

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 10 12:59:52 CET 2004

DAVE WRITES:

> At any rate, it wasn't until working with Louie for some time that the
> young woman who was his partner and caretaker revealed that he had
> worked on "The Forbidden Planet" and that the weight he seemed to carry
> was a massive guilt that he was thereby directly responsible for an
> aggressive military presence in the modern world!
>
> When I asked him about this, he indeed felt his work on "The Forbidden
> Planet" introduced and popularized a way of viewing things that he
> regretted abetting. I tried to talk him out of such a notion, but he
> couldn't be moved.

AND I REPLY:

Off-topic or not, I am so glad Dave related this tale on DCML.  I found it
intensely moving as another example of real human beings who contribute to
great projects that are normally seen as the product only of huge
corporations.

And we hardly ever get to hear or read of the effect people's work has on
their own lives.  "Ghastly" Graham Ingles did remarkable work on the EC
horror comics, and he reportedly spent most of his later life regretting his
involvement.

Dan