Disney and copyrights

Stefan Persson spe at inducks.org
Tue Feb 10 17:06:36 CET 2004

Today I received the first Japanese W.I.T.C.H. compilation book, which
is a Japanese version by the Japanese artist Haruko Iida that is based
on the Italian original and produced for the Japanese publisher Kadokawa
Shoten, for which Iida seems to be a regular artist.  What I noticed was
the copyright statement:

© Haruko IIDA  2003  © Disney  Printed in Japan

How comes that this issue does not have the usual "© Disney and no one
else" copyright statement?  If European and American artists can't claim
any right to their own stories, how comes that this new (to Disney, that
is) artist can claim rights for her stories?

Stefan