Gemstone's Coloring

YMH@aol.com YMH at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 07:50:06 CET 2004

In a message dated 1/30/2004 9:19:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, Thomas Pryds
Lauritsen <thomas at duckburg.dk> writes:
I think that often when whole areas (mostly backgrounds), which might
even include the Ducks, are coloured in a uniform shade, it is done in
order not to call too much attention to that part of the drawing,
probably since something else is happening in that panel that really
should be the centre of attention.
Perhaps so, but there are other ways to accomplish this without losing detail
in the coloring -- depth of field filters, for example, or differences in
brightness levels.
Oh, I agree that the colouring of the Bone covers is marvellous, and I'd
very much like to have such colouring applied to Disney covers. But I
think it might be too much if whole stories were coloured this way. I'm
afraid it might take away the attention from the story, but perhaps this
is just because I've always seen Disney comics coloured the "flat" way.
It's possible, but there's no way that we'd know for sure 'til we saw a story
colored that way. I have a Gladstone issue somewhere with a Barks story about
Donald being a doctor operating on cash registers... the first page was
colored in the way I describe (it was a tense scene in a room with directional
lighting) -- and the coloring both looked gorgeous and added a lot to the scene.
But I see the same thing in Danish issues; shading used primarily for
backgrounds and large, otherwise uniformly coloured areas in the
stories, and shading used to a higher degree on covers (but not to the
extent of the Bone cover example at all).
This is, in my opinion, unfortunate.

Notice that the Bone comic itself is uncoloured, so I think it's a
little hard to say whether the colouring of the cover would really have
been too much if applied to the story, too.
I think that the only reason that Bone is uncolored is the expense involved;
the books are self-published. The first issue was later re-released in a
colorized version; I'm not sure if the shading was up to the quality of the cover
or not.

-Yossi