Nemo plagiarised?

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 6 13:46:50 CET 2004

Alan:
>>> PARIS, France (Hollywood Reporter) -- A French
>>> children's media company has sued Walt Disney Pictures
>>> and Pixar Animation Studios, claiming the cartoon fish
>>> they catapulted to fame in the worldwide blockbuster
>>> "Finding Nemo" was plagiarized from his 1995 creation
>>> Nemo Le Poisson Clown.
[...]
>>> Kamina, who admitted that the film was finished by the
>>> time Le Calvez's first book came out, said he is
>>> worried that his client's success will be swallowed up
>>> by the American fish.

A bit contradictory. And the name of  his fish is Pierrot, not Nemo.
And if  he allegedly created it in 1995, but only copyrighted his creation
in 2000 (the only letgal proof  of  creation at a certain date, I believe--
as any sketch can be dated years later), the pre-production work on "Findng
Nemo" had already started some time before anyway.

>>> An example of the French original nemo :
>>> http://asifa.net/israel/nemo2.jpg

Nope, that's Pixar''s Nemo.
Here's Le Calvez's Pierrot (found on amazon.fr):
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/2951913818.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Olivier