Flippism / Flipist

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 9 20:31:42 CET 2004

Rob:

>>> syllable word should be doubled to keep the vowel short (e.g. preserve
the

... but American english has its own rules-- regarding for instance the
doubling of  the L in the past tense of  verbs (ex: (UK) travelled /
traveled (US)).
Have you found something specifically on -ist/-ism words in American, Rob?
I have been trying to think of  other examples, but can't find any pairs--
philanthropist (but philanthropy), harpist (but harp), ...

Olivier,
non-flippist